Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default DIY Hybrid

On Mar 19, 4:48*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Run your existing diesel tractor on bio or wvo and be "green" with a lot
less hassle and without getting stuck mid job in the field with a dead
battery.

From what I've read about biodiesel from used deep-fryer oil from all
the fast-food joints, has anybody jumped on that? Buy a truck, go around
and haul their used oil away - AFAIK, they currently have to pay to have
it hauled away - filter it, maybe crack it a little, and make a fortune
selling it at two bucks a gallon!

Anybody got any opinions, or, heaven forbid, actual facts about this
one way or the other? ;-)

There's a company in North Philadelphia that's been doing this for four or
five years. They collect the slurdge from McDonald's, etc. It was not
profitable yet, last time I looked.

I'm worried that McDonald's will like the idea and try it in reverse --
converting diesel to deep-fryer oil.

Well, except for a few little technical details, isn't oil, pretty much oil?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But I don't think I'd want to eat french fries that were cooked in kerosene.
;-P

Thanks,
Rich- Hide quoted text -

Well, no. A quick glance at any industrial chemistry book will show
you the difference between petroleum oils and seed oils.
And "waste" cooking oil and fat isn't useless, just useless for
cooking food. Has a lot of industrial uses from
soap-making to pet food. People are willing to pay to get it. And
there isn't enough waste cooking oil in the world to replace gasoline
or diesel fuel for everything. Biggest thing the waste oil burners
are doing is evading the road taxes on fuel. And if they're
esterifying
their oil, the sodium hydroxide and methanol isn't cheap or free,
either. Production of sodium hydroxide isn't exactly green, either,
it's a product of the electrochemical industry.

My decades old diesel design manual mentions that while diesels can be
run on vegetable oils like peanut oil, the oils
tend to gum up everything and the engines need tearing down and
refurbing long before they are worn. I know that my
sister's diesel Jetta forbids using biodiesel right in the warranty.
Whether it's because of the gum-up problem or another reason,
I don't know.

Stan