Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Press in captive studs

On Mar 20, 11:23*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I have a part being machined that calls for 2 captive studs to be
inserted and thought I'd try to put the studs in myself. They're
stainless, 8/32 about an inch long and require a .163 pocket
(partially drilled hole).

I thought that maybe I could build some sort of jig to keep them
straight and then tap them with a hammer?

OR--

Is there a small accessory or something that maybe I could use with an
arbor or vise? *Any ideas?

Need to do them myself to save some time and money.

Way Back in the lat 1970s I pressed thousands of 8-32 pem studs into .
1/8" aluminum plate using a drill press in place of an arbor press. It
didn;t require much force - certainly no more than drilling a 1/2"
hole - and it worked fine.