Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Fuse Box Capacity?

On Mar 20, 2:49*pm, Boris wrote:
"Twayne" wrote :

. 183.62,
Boris typed:
How is it that my main breaker is 100 amp service, and it
supplies power to a subpanel that has over 200 amps worth
of circuit breakers? *That is, if each breaker were
pulling the maximum amperage, how does this work? *Would
the main breaker not trip?

I've got lots of other questions. *Is this the best
newsgroup for electrical type questions?

TIA

Boris

This used to be a decent place for such questions and on occasion
still is. However, you have to be careful here as you on any unknown
web site - there are trolls, intentional misinformationists, and plain
out louts now too, so try to be sure you sort out the dumb stuff from
the real. gfretwell & Harry gave decent answers; I didn't read any
further.

Yep. *I used to participate in this ng, and this is my first time back in
a few years. *I was surprised to see so many smart-ass posts in so many
threads. *Lots of trolls and one-up-manship going on in many of the
threads with the not at all funny jokes and puns. *I've seen this happen
in lots of formerly respected ngs. Eventually, the knowledgeable and
helpful members (yeah, for those tempted...I know there no such thing as
a member in a ng) stop participating.

But, that's ok. *I can separate the wheat from the chaff.- Hide quoted text -

I think the worlds troubles are wierding people out, what with 3 wars
and a nuke meltdown. so I apologize for the others who just cant help
themselves

On another note I have tripped a 100 amp main in the past widow ACs
and the machnes I service put us in darkness

its rare but can occur, if you ever upgrade go 200 amps, but dont
worry about it if your not tripping the main