Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommendation for electronics forums?

On 3/19/2011 9:09 PM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm looking for an online electronics forum (web-based) where I can
post some questions.

Get a ham license. Then you can find people who actively design and build
things, like to talk about them and would gladly help you.

Not quite a web forum, but more personal.

Interesting suggestion, but highly impractical for me for several reasons.

First of all, it would require a whole 'nother pursuit--getting the
license AND acquiring/building/setting up a radio rig, which is
definitely *not* what I'm the least bit interested in at this point.

Then there's the problem of the medium. Web fora are perfect for my
porpoises: I can easily send text and images, and receive the same. With
radio, I'd have to exhaustively describe every little detail of what I'm
trying to do. And unless I had some kind of radio-fax setup, whereby I
could transmit images (and images of extremely ****ty quality at that),
how would I exchange schematics with other hams? Email? or, ironically,
posting them on the Web?

Sorry, not a good suggestion. I will say, though, that I do have a copy
of the ARRL Handbook (1991) which has been quite useful, if a bit out of
date.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet