Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recommendation for electronics forums?

On 3/19/2011 11:51 PM D Yuniskis spake thus:

On 3/19/2011 6:39 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm looking for an online electronics forum (web-based) where I can post
some questions.

Don't get me wrong: I love, and usually prefer, Usenet. But I'm trying
to educate myself here, am working on a project, and a web forum that
allows one to post pictures would be better for my purposes. At least
I'd like to try it. (The subject of my current research is the ins and
outs of op amps.)

Ideally, I'd like a forum where rank amateurs like me can post questions
that may be answered by "respected regulars" with lotsa knowledge on the
subject.

I think you have to refine your overall goals/interests.
There are many places you can find out "how to use an op amp"
(or, "how an op amp works", etc.).

But, what you *want* to use that op amp for is probably where
you will get far more pertinent information/advice if you can
refine your needs better.

E.g., using an op amp to design a battery charger is different
than using an op amp to buffer the pickup from an electric
guitar or to implement a feedback loop in a robotic servo
controller.

Be that as it may, I went ahead and joined the first forum that was
suggested here (Electro-Tech Online, http://www.electro-tech-online.com)
and whaddya know, I got answers--pretty good ones--within an hour that
allowed me to get parts of my project working. Maybe it's not the
definitive, be-all and end-all of understanding op amp operation that
you seem to be suggesting, but that isn't what I asked for anyhow. I'm
just trying to muddle through at this point.

Actually, I have a pretty good textbook which probably has all the
answers I need, if I can only understand them: Albert Malvino's
/Electronic Principles/ (actually fished out of a dumpster!). It's
extremely well-written and explains all about op amp operation,
including the four feedback configurations (SP/SS/PP/PS), calculating
gain and impedance, and various op amp applications. Now if I can only
get over having to deal with the math (ugh!) ...

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet