Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting threads on lathe

Rich Grise wrote:
Cydrome Leader wrote:

Does HSS leave nicer finish when sharp than carbide on these materials?
Considering tiny pieces of the tips broke off the carbide cutters I have,
I can't really test this anymore.

FWIW, in the shop where I sit, they have a diamond wheel where they can
grind new points on carbide inserts; carbide is the only thing anybody's
allowed to use it on.

My first thought was rake, chip relief, and whatever you call the
height of the cutter, but then again, brass is kinda mushy in those
circumstances. I was once trying to turn down a piece of copper, and
the bit bit into the copper and the part bent like toothpaste.

Good Luck!
Rich

I noticed this too- copper seems really sticky, and the bronze bolts used
by utility companies are hard to even drill.