Posted to alt.home.repair
The Henchman[_6_] The Henchman[_6_] is offline

Default 2004 Maytag Furnance runs then stops

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Mar 20, 12:25 pm, "The Henchman" wrote:
I'm looking for hints/tips before I call any repair shop.

Regards,

----------------------

Sounds like a dirty flame sensor. Mine needs cleaning every two years.
The
shut down and start-up procedures follow your problems exactley.

But why does it run for an hour each morning and then start acting
flaky?

-------------

Well we keep our house with a temp range like the OP. Our home time temp is
73 or 74 and our nighttime temp is 67. Because the furnace doesn't work as
hard at night, we were told the flame sensor (it's some space age rod
material) is cooled down and allows the firnance to run about 30 or 40
minutes before shut down on the first morning run.

The furnace turns on and off more frequently when it tries to keep our home
at 74 and that's where we get these 2 minute fire up and shut down cycles.
The tech is usually called out every other march or April, wipes the rod
down and we are good to go. ours is a 13 year old Coleman and they are
famous for this problem. I have a feeling the air the flame uses is getting
dust from my workroom beside it upon fire-up and it burns that dust and it
dirties up the rod.

It's just an Idea for the OP to consider.