Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Replacing FP electrical panel in Condo (with pics)

On 3/20/2011 1:31 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 20, 1:10 pm, "John wrote:
.

** You can add as many as you have panel space to accommodate. You'll
still
be limited by the 50 amp feeder and main

I guess what I'm trying to ask is there any restriction as to what
size cabinet I can put in?
I am limited to space, but if I could , is there any code violation if
I put in lets say a 20/40 panel?
I thought the main service dictates how big of a panel you can put in.

*No violation. Put in as big a panel as you think you will need for the
life of the condo. The 50 amp main circuit breaker will protect it from
being overloaded. If the 50 amp main breaker is old, you might want to
install a new one for the best protection. New FPE breakers are still
available for the price of a mortgage payment.

might be a good idea to upgrade serive from the meter location to a
minimum of 100 amps and price a 200 amp upgrade. which might be very
little more

50 amps is really low for any home today

It's a condo. He doesn't own the meter base or the distribution wires,
if it is like most. Most condos, even the work 'inside the 4 walls' that
he has described, would have to be done by an association or management
company approved electrician. The whole building may only have 200 or
400 amp service, split among 4-6-8 units. If it has window A/C units, it
probably wasn't built as a condo, it is probably an old converted
apartment building from 1960s at newest, if the 240v outlets are
original. We just don't know, unless OP cares to post more details.

Being a glorified apartment, 50 amps is likely adequate, unless he is
planning on installing a server farm or ceramics kiln.

--
aem sends...