Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Press in captive studs

On Mar 20, 11:23*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I have a part being machined that calls for 2 captive studs to be
inserted and thought I'd try to put the studs in myself. They're
stainless, 8/32 about an inch long and require a .163 pocket
(partially drilled hole).

I thought that maybe I could build some sort of jig to keep them
straight and then tap them with a hammer?

OR--

Is there a small accessory or something that maybe I could use with an
arbor or vise? *Any ideas?

Need to do them myself to save some time and money.

Hammering directly on the stud doesn't consistently work well unless
you have unusually good aim and control. You could hammer on a smooth-
faced steel block placed over them. As mentioned an arbor press or
milling vise is better. You can pull them in part way with a nut to
keep them from shifting in the press fixture.

The common fixture is a drilled steel block attached to the arbor
press ram.

jsw