Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Press in captive studs

mkr5000 wrote:

I have a part being machined that calls for 2 captive studs to be
inserted and thought I'd try to put the studs in myself. They're
stainless, 8/32 about an inch long and require a .163 pocket
(partially drilled hole).

I thought that maybe I could build some sort of jig to keep them
straight and then tap them with a hammer?

OR--

Is there a small accessory or something that maybe I could use with an
arbor or vise? Any ideas?

Need to do them myself to save some time and money.

Not sure this is the same stud, but it probably is similar to some I have
used. I took a piece of steel and drilled a hole that would barely clear
the threads. I faced it on the lathe so it was flat and at a right angle.
I place the material with the stud in it on a flat surface, stud sticking
up through the material, and place my driver down over the stud. I then
whack it with a hammer until the stud is flush on the back side. This was
done to put 4-40 studs in aluminum sheet, and worked quite well.

Jon