Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Fireplace in bedroom

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Mar 19, 5:24 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:32 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
Both the fireplaces in our house were blocked up long before we
got here. However OH has drilled a large hole ( dinner plate
size) in the bedroom flu / fireplace because a bird got trapped
and was flapping around in there.
So, to the question, when he drilled through he found that the
flue seemed very small . It has been filled to its entirety with
a six inch deep block. Can someone throw any light on how a flu
could be so small? Its a 1950's build bungalow . In the country
in Cornwall - so although its 1950's build may be more akin to
1920's/30's even. What kind of fire could have been fitted in such a
small opening?
A small one
Not that we are opening it up but we have one in the study which
also is blocked and another in the kitchen which we thought once
housed a boiler and OH had considered opening one of those two
and putting in solid fuel central heating or wood burners or
something, but if they are constructed like the bedroom one, he
may be stumped ( he says). Anyone know?
You need about 9" to fit a proper wood buring capable liner.
although if the flue is straightish and not too long you may find a
standard 6" flexible solid fuel flue liner will make it through...
I would not use a flexible flue in a suspect old stack.

Wood burners can burn VERY hot.

Jim K

it's what they are designed for....

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

Legal maybe, but I would never use a pre1973 flue as they are far too old
for my tastes:-)

Sorry Sweatheart, bad taste joke.

--
Adam