Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Recommendation for electronics forums?

Hi David,

On 3/19/2011 6:39 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I'm looking for an online electronics forum (web-based) where I can post
some questions.

Don't get me wrong: I love, and usually prefer, Usenet. But I'm trying
to educate myself here, am working on a project, and a web forum that
allows one to post pictures would be better for my purposes. At least
I'd like to try it. (The subject of my current research is the ins and
outs of op amps.)

Ideally, I'd like a forum where rank amateurs like me can post questions
that may be answered by "respected regulars" with lotsa knowledge on the
subject.

I think you have to refine your overall goals/interests.
There are many places you can find out "how to use an op amp"
(or, "how an op amp works", etc.).

But, what you *want* to use that op amp for is probably where
you will get far more pertinent information/advice if you can
refine your needs better.

E.g., using an op amp to design a battery charger is different
than using an op amp to buffer the pickup from an electric
guitar or to implement a feedback loop in a robotic servo
controller.

A place that will give you "textbook" advice on how an op amp
works (or can be applied) will leave you wondering, "OK, now how
do I use that to ____________?" OTOH, a more targeted "forum"
can tell you, "Why bother with an op amp? You can use a pair of
transistors configured like ___________ to give you the results
you need... with the following advantages: " Or, "If you use
an op amp in that sort of application, you will need to add an
external output stage to give you increased ___________. You
can do that by _____________."

Now, if the answer turns out to be "What, are you nuts? There ain't no
such thing!", then I guess I can live with that ...