Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default DIY Hybrid

On Mar 19, 5:42*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
I was actually surprised at the low power consumption. *250 A at 48 V is
just 12 KW, or 16 HP. *I couldn't go above that to protect the batteries and
wiring.
Jon

In Germany I had a 1961 Beetle with what I think was a 25HP engine, it
was a hybrid of the US and German versions that had been kicking
around Army bases for years, and unlike the Germans we could freely
swap engines. Flat-out on a level road like the Autobahn north of
Basel it could reach 62MPH / 100KPH after about 15 minutes. It wasn't
so bad on the back roads I preferred.

The substantially less aerodynamic Model T could do 40 - 45MPH on
20HP.

jsw