Posted to uk.d-i-y
Skipweasel[_4_] Skipweasel[_4_] is offline

Default cleaning scratchy [electronics] pots / switches

In article ,
lid says...
For reference a major component of Servisol 'switch cleaner' is
petroleum distillate, a major component of WD40 is...petroleum
distillate. Of course petroleum distillate can cover a whole range of
products but you get the idea

Erme - anyone else abandoned the insulator element and the switch
cleaner element and gone straight over the the main ingredient,
petroleum distillate?

The school is about to throw away its 1970s Russian stereo microscope
[1] and I perused the instructions. To degrease it on delivery you are
instructed to wash it with "High grade aviation gasoline". Can't see
that going down well with the insurers these days.

[1] I'll rescue it and repair it, but it'll have to go to another home
since I already have a much better one. All that's happened is the M2
screws that hold the binocular body onto the focussing slide have pulled
out. Drill and tap to M2.5 and fit new screws should fix it.