Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Japan Nuclear Problem

harry wrote:
On Mar 19, 12:36 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere
wrote:
On 19/03/2011 11:59, GB wrote:

There was a tsunami in the Severn estuary near where I live in 1607.
There are two nuclear power stations there now. Apparently there are
two possible reasons for the tsunami& it could happen again.
?????????
Are they tsunami proof?
What do you not understand about UK stations being of a different design
from the BWR in Japan and not needing the pumps that were the only
critical thing damaged by the tsunami?
The pumps and the standby generators. And when they did ship some generators
in the plugs weren't right.

Strictly speaking, the pumps were not damaged, only the generators to
power them. The pumps ran for eight hours on battery backup. However, I
was trying to simplify things to make them easier for Harry to
understand and the point I was making is that our power stations do not
need the pumps in the first place.

Colin Bignell

All nuclear reactors even when shut down and the spent fuel needs
cooling. When they are shut down the residual heat from the fission
products continues to be liberated and has to be dispersed for years
afterwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressur...reactor#Safety
If they have to be scrammed through some emergency the need is even
greater.
I see you believe all the propaganda.

No, but I see you believe all wikipedia.