Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles[_6_] Charles[_6_] is offline

Default Weak points of Harbor Freight DMMs

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Good price for fuses! Wish I could find 11 amp fuses for my
Fluke. I can't, so I went to HF meters for daily use.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SMS" wrote in message

I have about 15 of them. About 5 years ago I prepared a
presentation
for "Enrichment Day" for my son's 4th grade class on Ohm's
law. I
built twelve platforms each with ten resistors in series,
and two AA
cells, very unkludgily constructed, and they had to measure
resistance, voltage, and current and compare the measured
value,
labeled value, and calculated value (V/I) of each resistor.

Everything worked fine with the twelve Harbor Freight DMMs
(on sale
for $1.99 each) until some of the kids had them set to DC
current and
touched them to the + and - of the two batteries. That blew
the
internal 500mA GMA fuse, and the current measurement
function no
longer worked. I finally replaced all the blown fuses
http://
www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/GMA-05/1/2-AMP-MINI-FUSE//1.html
but had I bought fuses locally I would have paid about $1
per fuse.

I wanted to donate the whole set-up to the school, after
all, they
paid for it all, but they weren't interested. So I have the
whole
thing in a bin in the shed waiting for someone that wants
it.

For basic household use those meters are just fine, you
don't need
super high accuracy for most tasks.

I have a Fluke 83. Used it on aircradft for 15 years. No problems. I'm now
using it in buses and trolleys, 700 volts. It will probably outlive me. I've
had other meters, all gone, junk. Fluke is top notch. Can't be beat