Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Voltage vs. current in an incandescant..

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Josepi wrote:
The guys used to laugh when I would get out the old AVO analogue
needle meter, with the mirrored scale, from time to time but the
digital ones (with all their so-called accuracy) would get confused
in certain applications.

Anyone who ever had to tune a circuit for a peak or a null
should be on the analog meter side of that discussion.
Those GD blinking digits, you cant tell if the reading
is going up or down.

I've never seen a 4 1/2 digit analog equivalent, or an analog meter
that displays a .01 dB signal change.

And I've never had to "tune" a cicuit to anywhere near 0.1 percent
of max. So that argument is pure bull$hit.

To you. I did it daily for over four years. I worked on telemetry
receivers that sold for $20,000 to $80,000. I've seen specs that tight
on a lot of broadcast TV gear as well. If you've never worked on gear
with those specs, then your opinion is pure bull****.

I once had a temp job as an "assembler" (at assembler pay), and they
found out that I'm really a techie, so they had me calibrating their
instruments (called a "Stimulus Unit") to within a microvolt. When I
fired up a new unit, I had time go go out for a smoke while I waited
for it to warm up and stabilize. This was only volts out of a 24-bit
DAC, but I'd think that the same principles apply.

Cheers!
Rich