Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default motherboard RAM failures

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:48:18 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Stability is impeccable. Video encoding approaches 20x with NVidia CUDA
support. and hour of RAW DV encodes in minutes instead of hours. I have
3 Seagate 2TB internal drives -- not raid, just JBOD.

Just Back up Once Daily? I back up everything every two weeks or so to a
bootable drive. Critical stuff is backed up to a Zip every time a major
change is made.

Things in the work are stored on internal and external. Dual redundancy
hasn't let me down yet. I don't give a **** about the operating system,
that can be installed and back to work in an hour. I try my best to
finish videos for customers as soon as possible, once they are on optical
media I delete the data but I do keep configuration files. Those go to my
storage server that backs up every morning at 3am. Basically just copies
the main disc to a hidden disc of the same size. Main disc fails and the
server does a failover and send me an email.

You might think this thing would howl like a microwave oven, but that's
not the case. [Ouch!] In fact, it's quiet. Everything is installed in
an Antec server case with redundant 650W PSUs.

Some time ago I switched from roller-bearing to ball-bearing fans. Big
difference.

I've never seen a roller bearing fan. Just the old bronze block bearing
impregnated with lube and roller. I use 120mm JMC Datatech roller bearing
fans. The newer design has contoured blades to reduce noise and increase
airflow. Kind of like the Fan blades of a RR Trent 900 turbofan.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse