Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Thread hijack! Surprise! A little radiation is a _good_ thing!

On Mar 18, 2:20*am, "anorton"
wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:26:19 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:

FOX is among the worst but research and fact checking is pretty weak

Oh, well, I guess we know where you stand.

accross the board.
The latest bon mot is that there has only been one nuclear incident in
the
US (TMI) and no deaths.
Nuclear power is pretty safe but there are a bunch of concreted in
reactors around the country and the number of deaths is non-zero.

But there is a small voice of reason amongst the firestorm of hysteria;
it's
by Ann Coulter, who might be a nut case, but she is a reporter, and she
does
quote verifiable facts and figures (but sometimes I think that the NIMBYs,
like the warmingists, are impervious to facts and figures):
http://townhall.com/columnists/annco...glowing_report....

Interesting. *Tucker showed some of the same data in his _Terrestrial
Energy_ book. One more stat from the book: 45% of any given population
will contract cancer anyway. (pg 325)

--
A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- William S. Burroughs

Well obviouisly we need to send Ann Coulter to fix Fukushima; it will be
good for her health, and she seems to know more about nuclear stuff than
most experts.

Seriously, though, *the as-yet-unproven theory she is talking about involves
slightly elevated exposure to EXTERNAL sources of radation where there is no
danger of radioactive dust or vapor entering your body. *That is not the
case with fallout from a bomb or reactor. Even if your total exposure in
REMs (or Sieverts) is not outrageous, the dust and vapor are still
dangerous. A radioactive dust particle lodged in your body irrradiates the
same few cells continuously.

The other thing she misrepresents is that the low iodine in the Russian diet
was the cause of all the thyroid cancer after Chernobyl *and so those should
be discounted. She is smart enough to understand the real issue, she just
chooses to misrepresent it. *Low iodine does not cause thyroid cancer by
itself. *The cancers were caused by radioactive iodine from Chernobyl.
People with low iodine in their diet simply absorb more of the radioactive
iodine.

Concerning your statistic that "45% of any given population will contract
cancer anyway", *you might be surprised to learn that 100% of us will die
from some cause or another anyway. *Of course the crucial bit is, will it be
when we are 8 or 80? Your number does not say anything about that or what
radiation does to shorten life.- Hide quoted text -

"Crazy Ass"Ann will say anything to get her ratings up.

Higher ratings = more money for Ann.

Ann would tell her audience of sheeple to stick their guns in their
mouths and pull the trigger if it made her more money.

TMT