Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default cleaning scratchy [electronics] pots / switches

On Mar 18, 2:03*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 08:11:53 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
The main argument against WD40 and the like is that it is a lubricant,
and eventually attracts grot. While this is probably true, surely
purpose-made cleaners things like Electrolube are also lubricants?

I think the issue with WD40 is that over time it wears away but leaves a
sticky residue behind - and that residue is what attracts crud. I assume
that other lubricants, designed to also be cleaners, are formulated so
that they don't do this.

Lubes differ of course, what's in wd40 is a sticky oil better suited
to cars.

As an update, I tried some IPA, and that gave a huge improvement - in
fact, it was perfect for a few days. As of this morning I'm suddenly
getting signal drop-out on the left channel, but I suspect this isn't
related to switch/pot contacts. Time to have a nose around inside and
probably re-route some things to determine where exactly the fault's
happening. Wish I had my 'scope and ESR meter with me :-(

(I'm also thinking I might prod the car parts place in town this weekend
- maybe they carry some form of switch cleaner)

cheers

Jules

I have occasionally seen a volume pot carrying dc, but not wired up
correctly, ie arranged so that any slight poor connection produces a
lot of noise. These can typically be silenced just by connceting the
unconnected pot end to the wiper, or if that cant be done fitting a
fixed R to the wiper and ground or one of the other terminals.

NT