Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.d-i-y
Nigel Wade Nigel Wade is offline

Default Chosing a new PC

On 18/03/11 00:30, Nix wrote:
On 17 Mar 2011, Nigel Wade stated:

My server is an 8-way Opteron SMP box, so all processors are running in
the same address space, and all able to access the full RAM. Small 4-way
SMP boxes with 8- and 12-core Opterons are not uncommon these days. They

Pedant point: Intel multisocket systems are not SMP these days, and I'm
fairly sure the same is true of AMD as well. They're NUMA, with some of
the RAM accessible only through some of the scokets.

Yes, it's NUMA rather than SMP. But all the RAM is accessible by all
CPUs. Each CPU can access "local" RAM fastest, with slower access to RAM
in other "nodes". But each CPU has access to all the RAM, should it
require it.

I tend to think in terms of SMP vs. clusters. Where SMP is lots of
processors and RAM in one box, where any process can run on any CPU and
access all the memory. Whereas a cluster is a maze of twisty little
boxes, all alike.

--
Nigel Wade