Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.d-i-y
chris[_10_] chris[_10_] is offline

Default Chosing a new PC

On 17/03/11 15:25, anahata wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 14:03:59 +0000, chris wrote:

On 17/03/11 10:00, John Stumbles wrote:
How does the PC know what sort of monitor it's driving?

From what I understand, new display port connections actually
communicate between card and monitor, and the card will refuse to drive
things that aren't capable.

Look up DDC.

I think you'll find if the card doesn't get a response it assumes a safe
default like VGA 640x480 at 60Hz which will get you a good enough display
to use for debugging and fixing things, and is supported by almost any
monitor.

This is different. The card won't drive more than 4 non-Display Port
monitors at all. I don't fully understand why, but it seems that DP
connections are less arduous than DVI/VGA connections for cards to drive.