Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Too bad Japan didn't use Canadian CANDU reactors

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:23:08 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Han" wrote in message
.. .
Vic Smith wrote in
:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 22:46:11 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article , Home Guy wrote:

That's when it's operating. A Candu core can be shut down without
needing a cooling system to remain functioning after shutdown.

This is the key point:

Just my cynicism, but I'm guessing that nuclear power just got shoved
back another 40 years. Yer average lay person doesn't give a damn about
facts, or science, or about how the reactors in Japan differ from the
ones you advocate. "Nuke" just resumed its status as a dirty word.

Might be a good guess if it really goes to hell in Japan.
I hope not.
Burning gas, coal and oil kills more people every day than nukes have
done in 50 years.

--Vic

Two things:
"Burning gas, coal and oil kills more people every day than nukes have
done in 50 years."
That's until now. We won't know until the stuff has cooled down and the
extent of contamination is known.

There are very expensive lessons to be learned from this quake and
tsunami. Especially on the West coast. Hopefully the lessons will
indeed be studied and acted upon, both the physical threats directly from
a tsunami, and the nuclear physics threats from misbehaviors of nuclear
plants.

I, too, hope that some important lessons will be learned here, especially
since we have serious earthquake vulnerability on the West Coast. But then
I think about what I thought we learned in Vietnam and where we are now and
I would say that in 25 years, nearly all lessons learned are forgotten
again. )-:

US wars are always to insure that wealthy Americans can invest abroad
safely. The soldiers are there to protect that investment. What was
the lesson from Vietnam? To continue to have wars overseas so that the
wealthy can make more money, but try to make sure that the outcome is
successful. The lesson was not to stop getting involved in foreign
wars.