Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Weak points of Harbor Freight DMMs

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

How could you *not* buy a DMM for $3?

The temptation is non-existent. I'd rather spend $100+ and not be
annoyed and deceived every time I use it. I honestly do not understand
the appeal of cheap tools.

I've had 2 quality meters - a fluke and a keithley. Both have died. I have
yet
to have a under $10 meter die. Which is most economic?

Most of my decisions in life have nothing to do with "economy." And that
isn't because I'm wealthy. I might be almost to the middle of the middle
class, maybe not quite. I just happen to despise cheap tools and cheap
everything else. They aren't worth the annoyance. I buy good things
until the money in my pocket is gone and then I do without until I get
some more money.

Some of us just appreciate quality. I do not need 10 cheap mulitmeters
so that I can "put one in every toolbox" as others do. I have a Fluke
handheld, a Fluke benchtop, a Tenma handheld that I bought for the
capacitance function, and a 28 year old Radio Shack analog that was $50
at the time, when I was working two part-time jobs for minimum wage and
living on rice. Still wish I'd bought a Simpson even then. But anyway
it's a full-sized meter, not one of those goofy pocket things. Also have
an old VTVM but I don't use it much.