Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default motherboard RAM failures

On 3/16/2011 11:03 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Meat wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:27:42 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Recently starting building computers for a customer, using components
they supply, and have run into an alarming percentage (10?) of
motherboards that fail to recognize one RAM slot. Swapping the MB puts
them in order, and so far the customer has not had any problem returning
the bad MBs for credit to his vendor.

Is this a known epidemic? RoHS associated? I'm not being faulted for
this issue, but also wondering how likely it is that my (experienced)
employee is damaging the RAM slots when he plugs in the RAM.

All reasoned feedback appreciated.

MB manufacturer?

MSI.

They are usually good. I assume you try other RAM to make sure that you
are not using a marginal RAM device, right?

If it is an RoHS issue, I'd be very worried that it will happen as the
board age and heat cycle stresses build up over time.

--
I'm never going to grow up.