Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 120V between Neutral and Ground

Can be caused by being wired backwards. Yes, it can be
dangerous. It's not a severe danger, but here's why.
Appliances usually have on off switch. If the socket is
wired bakwards, the wires in the appliance can be "hot"
while the switch is off. It's not going to kill someone
today, but it's less safe. Should be corrected, sometime at
your convenience.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Aaron" wrote in message
I have been trying to trace down where a circuit starts
showing
voltage between my ground wire and neutral wire. I found
the a
receptacle on the circuit that is correct where the neutral
and ground
show 0V, and then a box which I believe is the next
receptacle that
shows 120V between the ground and neutral. I have looked in
both
boxes and everything looks correct.

1st Box
H-N = 120V
H-G = 120V
N-G = 0V

2nd Box
H-N = 120V
H-G = 0V
N-G = 120V

What can cause the above scenario. A short? A broken wire?
Also, is this dangerous? I think it has been like this for
awhile.