Posted to alt.home.repair
James[_23_] James[_23_] is offline

Default HVAC question - Heat pump compressor

How old is the heat pump and what model is it? What part of the
country do you live? Let me know if you need heat pump prices. Thanks

~James

http://www.acoverstock.com/heat-pump-prices

On 2011-02-20 15:52:31 -0500, John said:

I have a 15 year old FHP geothermal heat pump, the compressor won't
start. In heat mode there is a slight humming, and every 30 seconds or
so louder buzzing noise for a few seconds. The compressor is getting
220V to the contacts, the resistance between the then is in the range
of 3 to 7 amps. I tested the start capacitor with a simple DMM using a
resistance and volt modes, seems to work as it should. Any ideas? Time
for a new heat pump? Should I try a new start capacitor anyway?