Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron[_2_] Aaron[_2_] is offline

Default 120V between Neutral and Ground

On Mar 15, 10:50*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"Aaron" wrote in message

I have been trying to trace down where a circuit starts showing
voltage between my ground wire and neutral wire. *I found the a
receptacle on the circuit that is correct where the neutral and ground
show 0V, and then a box which I believe is the next receptacle that
shows 120V between the ground and neutral. *I have looked in both
boxes and everything looks correct.

1st Box
H-N = 120V
H-G = 120V
N-G = 0V

2nd Box
H-N = 120V
H-G = 0V
N-G = 120V

What can cause the above scenario. *A short? *A broken wire?
Also, is this dangerous? *I think it has been like this for awhile.

It looks like somewhere the neutral and the hot wires have been reversed.

While you are probabaly not in danger of a meltdown, do not use the socket
that has the faulty wiring.

Also something else I just thought of. Downstream from the bad box,
there is a light and the switch leg shows voltage between the neutral
and the ground when the switch is off.