Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.d-i-y

Default Chosing a new PC

Davey wrote:
On 15 Mar 2011 14:26:09 GMT
John Stumbles wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:31:24 +0000, Phil Addison wrote:

If you care to build your own

I'd rather not. If, having bought all the bits, they don't work, then
what do I do? I don't have enough swappable bits around to isolate
one duff component, or know enough to sort out a
configuration/compatability problem.

My feeling exactly. Years ago, I bought a Heathkit computer, but they
gave the guarantee that they would fix it if it didn't work. They knew
what was in it; build-your-own sounds great, but if you're not a
full-blown computer geek, and it doesn't boot, then what?

That's why the 'get someone to build t for you' sites are so good.

At least it comes screwed together and demonstrably able to boot, if not
the OS of choice, at least something.

That's why I love my supplier. I pick what he stocks, ask advice, tell
him what IO want, listen while he goes through the possible options and
when its built, I go in and install Linux on their network in the
workshop. And last time I was glad I did, as it turned out that the
onboard Ethernet didn't work at all, even with Windows..

So I got a new motherboard FOC as well.
Not the cheapest, but my base computers are generally sub £250. Because
they only contain what I need, not what someone else has decided I want,
including Windoesn't.