Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,uk.d-i-y
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Chosing a new PC

In uk.comp.os.linux John Stumbles wrote:
Their system builder/pc designer seems broken: if I specify 8G RAM
(either as 8000 or 8192 MB) and leave everything else set at cheapest it
says "ERROR! unable to find a suitable Memory with Size = 8000 (or
whatever) for this spec". :-(

Hmm... so it does. I think the issue is that they only allow one memory
'product' per selection, where a product is either a single or pair of
DIMMs. But they don't sell DDR2 in more than 2GB DIMMs, so the max DDR2 RAM
is 2x2GB. And the designer gets itself in knots as it doesn't seem to work
out that 8GB requires DDR3, and thus to make appropriate choices based on
that.

If I manually go into the designer and choose 8GB DDR3 to start with (you
can choose components in any order), then the second cheapest mobo (Intel,
the cheapest AM3 board doesn't give any processors for some reason), then
there's a range of processors to pick from.