Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default How would you set up two 50 gallon hot water heaters in series?

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"RBM" wrote in :

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"RBM" wrote in :

"Aaron FIsher" wrote in message
I bought a home a few months ago and didn't even think to look at
the hot
water heaters.

A friend suggested today that I set the temperatures
differentially; and when I asked why, I realized I had no idea why
or to what advantage two hot water heaters would be set up in
serial connections. (I'd have used one for the teen's bathroom, and
another, in parallel, for the rest of the house.)

Anyway, what's the THEORY and RATIONALE for having two hot water
heaters in parallel?

Specifically:
- What's the main advantage (is is simply gallonage?)
- What is the main benefit?
- What is the key drawbacks?
And, most importantly:
- Would you set the temperatures differently on them or the same?

More hot water because of the double volume, and faster recovery
because you have double (whatever is heating them)

the hot water from #1 heater going into the second heater (in
series)doesn't get heated unless it's temp is lower than what the
thermostat is set at.
and available volume or flow rate doesn't increase,because a tank can
only flow so much water,and that flow has to go thru the 2nd tank.

a parallel connection allows both tanks to add to the water
supply(double flow) and both tanks do the heating.

I doubt a series connection would pass inspection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm certainly not talking about installing them is series, and neither
is the OP.

"Anyway, what's the THEORY and RATIONALE for having two hot water
heaters in parallel?"

you better REREAD the post;

A friend suggested today that I set the temperatures
differentially; and when I asked why, I realized I had no idea why
or to what advantage two hot water heaters would be set up in
serial connections.

See,it clearly says "serial" connections. that's same as "in series".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I don't know what a serial connection is, but here is the op's quote .