Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default cleaning scratchy [electronics] pots / switches

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2011-03-14, Jules Richardson wrote:

Picked up an old Kenwood tuner/amp for nowt a couple of days ago - I love
all that old 70s/80s hi-fi stuff. All seems to be working, but has a
major case of the crackles when the volume control or input selector are
used. Despite all the putzing around with vintage kit I've done over the
years, this is the first thing I've had where it seems like the pots and
switches could do with a good clean.

Judging by the colour of what came out of the input select switch on my
Arcam Alpha 9, and the results, I can strongly recommend "Deoxit" switch
cleaner. It's rather expensive, though.

Those who followed my "Arcam Input Selector" thread from a couple of
weeks ago might like to know that the Deoxit fixed the switch about
95%. There are now clear, crackle-free positions on the input selector.
Sadly, they don't line up with the detents on the switch. (

Http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Caig-La...ntact-Cleaner-
Spray/product_1150

19 odd quid a can!. Glad me Servisol which I expect is the same stuff is
around 3 quid..

Course if Russ Andrews was to make this then 500 notes a 10 milli litre
bottle anyone;?..

--
Tony Sayer