BillR

Default laminate flooring and removing visible damp patches

Gav wrote:
hello all,

I have laminate flooring in my bathroom and have noticed some damp
patches showing round the base of the toilet. Obviously this should
be fixed properly but for now I simply need to "hide" the problem!
The laminate is quite light in colour and the patches relatively dark
- can anyone suggest a purely cosmetic quick fix for this other than
just stretegically placing some plant pots over the patches? I
thought about sanding the floor a bit and varnishing but I dont know
much about DIY and I suspect that the laminate surface cant be
sanded...

Cheers!

Gav

You cant sand laminate. The only hope is to dry it out somehow.
I hoped you used laminate that was specified for bathroom use such as the
B&Q AquaLoc 1600.
Otherwise expect further problems with the laminate around the toilet,
possibly even lifting of the top layers which happened to me.
This is one area where a good seal is important. Even with waterproof stuff
use the clear non-setting sealant they sell to seal critical joint areas
e.g. in front of bog.
Naturally its better to have continuous laminate under the toilet pan rather
than cutting around it...