Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nuclear power plant explodes

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:06:25 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:

The AP1000 is a very good design by all accounts. China is going full bore
with these things but they bought hardware and the technology.
The emergency cooling is sort of a self licking ice cream cone.

I don't know how many reactors the Japanese are going to lose but it's at
least two so far.
Both are old but still, that's a lot of money to waste on a concrete land
mark.
I just read that they will be venting to the atmosphere for a considerable
period of time.
Possibly as long as a year - which seems a bit overstated - but people are
going to be unable to go home until the mess is buttoned up.
This is going to be an ongoing saga.

The Bank of Japan dumped more than eighty billion dollars into the Japanese
economy this morning.
That's real money.

By WILLIAM TUCKER

Even while thousands of people are reported dead or missing, whole
neighborhoods lie in ruins, and gas and oil fires rage out of control,
press coverage of the Japanese earthquake has quickly settled on the
troubles at two nuclear reactors as the center of the catastrophe.

Rep. Ed Markey (D., Mass.), a longtime opponent of nuclear power

....and complete asshole warmingist (though he supports dirty, hot coal
over cool, clean nuclear power) from Taxachusetts.

warned of "another Chernobyl" and predicted "the same thing could happen
here." In response, he has called for an immediate suspension of
licensing procedures for the Westinghouse AP1000, a "Generation III"
reactor that has been laboring through design review at the Nuclear
Regulatory Commission for seven years.

Predictable Liberal knee-jerk action.

--big snip--

Mr. Tucker is author of "Terrestrial Energy: How Nuclear Power Will Lead
the Green Revolution and End America's Energy Odyssey" (Bartleby Press,
2010).

Though I'm not completely in sync with his ideas, I highly recommend
this book. It covers the gamut of power options in detail.

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes