Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Dividing head

On Mar 14, 7:20*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
That type of expanding anchor/holding joint was the type I fabricated for my
9x20 lathe shortly after I started using it.
Someone mentioned what that type of joint is, but I used it because I
remembered it from a bicycle I had.. it was used where the handlebar stem
was held in the fork tube.
WB

That type of fitting presses the spindle tube oval, not good at a
bearing.

I'd consider two concentric tubes, the inner one having a taper on the
end that wedges the slit outer one evenly tight against the spindle ID
somewhere far from bearings. It would work like a ball hole gage, but
have an over-center cam instead of a slow-acting screw to operate it.
The tapered cone could be a separate piece that screws on, giving an
easy tension adjustment.

jsw