Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are the Amish Known for Their Pocket Holes? :-)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:29:04 -0400, "SBH" wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message
On 3/13/2011 1:59 PM, RonB wrote:

... I asked someone in town about it and was told
they are not supposed to own that kind of equipment. But they can
lease it.

The sect rules that I'm aware of in central KS around Hutch/Yoder/etc.,
seem to limit the proscription to the house and personal lifestyle; same
rules do not apply to the farm operations, for example (have lights in the
barn, not the house; milking machines for the dairy, no washing machine
for the house), etc.

I've always presumed the same rules were in place with the furniture shop
and the rest of the Yoder businesses--business is business.

As I understand it, Amish churches regulate use of technology through a set
of oral guidelines known as the Ordnung. Amish leaders aim to slow or
prevent change if a given technology is seen to be a threat.

Mennonites differ from the Amish as they do not shun the use of technology
as much as the Amish. Therefore, will use electricity and power tools if it
benefits them financially.

The Ohio Amish we bought out stuff from use electricity for their woodworking
but they're off-grid. They have a bank of diesel generators, which I found
somewhat amusing.