charlie b

Default safer method for mitering short thin stock

Router table, zero clearance fence and 45 degree chamfer bit.
A jig or two to control the stock and act as a backer board
to minimize tear out is also handy.

Bottom of this page is showing a lock miter bit but a 45
degree chamfer bit will work the same way though you
should probably do the cuts "horizontal" with the parts
flat on the table. Next page has two "sleds/jigs" for
controling the stock while cutting. If you're parts are
at least 3/8 inch thick the lock miter joint might work
for you. Posted a closed lock miter joined box to
a.b.p.w. last week you might want to check out. Let's
you wrap grain around the box and, if the original
board is wide enough, acrossed the top as well.

(all one line so watch the line wrap)

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...ngCenter4.html

This method also lets you miter thin stock.

Lot's safer than cutting miters on short pieces with the
table saw or miter saw. Like you, I get very uncomfort-
able when my body parts get close to the blade.

You've heard of "phantom limbs" - where an amputee still
"feels" the missing extremity? Well, when I can feel my hair
stand on end I stop doing whatever I was doing and try
to find another way to do whatever I was about to do.

Hope this helps.

charlie b