Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Are the Amish Known for Their Pocket Holes? :-)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:38:31 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:18Â*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
We were in a cabinet store, just looking for ideas. Â*There was a great
lacking in craftsmanship, even in their high end line, especially in the
box construction. Â*There was not a drop of glue to be seen anywhere.
Their mid-level line used cam & pin like Sauder and Ikea "in-a-box"
assembly bookshelves.

I had to cough to hide my laughter as the saleslady took us over to
their "high end" cabinets and touted, "Our high quality line uses pocket
hole construction like the Amish are known for."

I grew up near "Amish country" and don't know if they're known for their
pocket holes or not, but I do know that none of the cabinets in this
store were anywhere near the quality of Amish rejects.

--

Â* -MIKE-

Â* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
Â* Â* Â*--Elvin Jones Â*(1927-2004)
Â* --
Â*http://mikedrums.com
Â*
Â* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

In support of your observation, I found it interesting to learn that
Mennonites had emigrated to China.
What once was badge of honour and quality, Mennonite furniture has
gone for an absolute crap around here.
It once was a 'form-follows-function' piece of furniture, executed
meticulously, now appears to have become a 'style' made everywhere but
by Mennonites... BUT...still for the same money. $ 2700 for a simple
eating-type table is one thing.. but with FINGER jointed planks for
the apron? Glued up legs without any consideration for grain...or even
species? Then coat the whole thing with toned lacquer?
Yup, from 30 paces it LOOKS like a piece of Mennonite quality...but
come no closer. Sacrilege !!! Death to Chinese Mennonites!! OFF with
their heads!!

Actually, there HAVE been Mennonites in China for many years - but
they are not the "amish" or "old order" and they don't make "mennonite
furniture" and export it to the USA or Canada.