Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Are the Amish Known for Their Pocket Holes? :-)

On Mar 13, 1:18*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I grew up near "Amish country" and don't know if they're known for their
pocket holes or not, but I do know that none of the cabinets in this
store were anywhere near the quality of Amish rejects.

--

* -MIKE-

We learned a few years ago that not all Amish is what you expect.

We bought some bedroom furniture at an Amish store in Eureka Springs
several years ago. And as you say, it was very high quality. But as
we were shopping I noticed several large, beautiful walnut wall
carvings. Some were absolute duplicates. I asked the salesperson how
long the Amish had been doing laser etching. She smiled sheepishly
and said "Well, they do farm some of their stuff out to Mennonites."

We also stopped in an Amish furniture factory in Yoder, Kansas and
were, again, impressed with the craftsmanship. In Amish fashion, the
showroom was lighted with gas lights and heated with wood. As we left
we noted that the gate between the two shop building was open and a
door into the shop was open. I walked over to see what an old world
Amish shop looked like. Norm would have been green with envy! Latest
Delta, Powermatic, etc. I asked someone in town about it and was told
they are not supposed to own that kind of equipment. But they can
lease it.

RonB