Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wolfgang wolfgang is offline

Default Dividing head

On Mar 13, 1:03*am, wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:32:53 -0800 (PST), wolfgang

wrote:

[...]

As others have cautioned above I too would not place a crank handle on
the back end of the lathe spindle. *If you really must do this at
least make sure that it is statically balanced!

Or you could just remove it when not needed.

Instead I have a large hand wheel -6" or so- in diameter that I can
fix at the spindle back end for turning very short threads or
whatever.

The diagram posted by DoN above illustrates the use and position of
the spacer bar/rod as discussed earlier.

If I am interpreting this right you can position a 3-jaw chuck in 60
degree intervals using this method. I do not see 90 degrees.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

That's what 4-jaw self centering chucks were invented for.:-)).

As I said 3 divs are easy and a cross hole is a cinch.

Wolfgang