Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Dead Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV

On 03/12/11 22:18, Sylvia Else wrote:
This TV died abruptly, and completely without warning, while it was
turned on. It appears completely dead, other than than that the
degaussing still works.

There was some burning smell evident immediately after it failed, but
nothing has obviously suffered heat trauma.

Presumably there's a problem with the power supply, which looks like a
switch-mode. One thing I've noticed is that when power is connected, it
emits a clicking noise - about three times a second. When the power is
disconnected, the clicking doesn't stop immediately but continues for
several seconds, slowing down.

The clicking noise isn't coming from the speakers. I assume it's coming
from a transformer or choke.

A friend and I (he very experienced) tries to fix a similar fault in a
similar Sony TV a year back. The clicking was coming from a relay in the
PSU, which appears to be driven via some circuitry from an opto-isolator
from the main board. It would appear that it would try to power up, detect
a fault, and shut off again, repeatedly. We never did get to the bottom of
it. Really, with so many rather good glass TVs on the nature strip, are you
sure it's worth the trouble?

Clifford Heath.