Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Chosing a new PC

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:23:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

DO consider - however you arrange things - some sort of backup policy.
Even if it's not a total crash, I have found the 'oh bugger I didn't
mean to delete that' - followed by 'oh well I'll just fetch last nights
backup copy' to be a useful boon.

Heh, yes: BTDTGTTS

I have a home-brewed rsync snapshot backup/archive system to an external
2TB HDD. I've lost count of the number of times I've smugly trawled
through the daily/weekly/yearly backups to find a version of the file I
wanted before it got deleted or corrupted from the main drive ...

Likewise the ability to totally restore windows in seconds,if as often
happens it gets buggered beyond repair, is wonderful.

.... until a week ago when my OS (Debian in this case) got thoroughly
shagged up and I had to ask myself why, with an almost entire backup of
my 1.5TB home drive, I'd skimped on the OS drive and only backed up its
config files :-(

--
John Stumbles

Life is nature's way of keeping meat fresh