Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Dividing head

Besides a variac for universal motor variable speed, the inexpensive
triac/diac-type Router Speed Control units sold by HF and others (maybe $12
on sale) might be a good alternative.
IIRC, the user manual states that the speed control units are for series
field windings, but I haven't read it recently.

I haven't tried one, but the laminate trimmer motor may also work well with
a light/med duty versions of Minarik or KB DC controllers, which would
likely provide better speed regulation (depending upon model and features),
if they're compatible.

--
WB

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message

Instead of locking the spindle you can clamp the divider plate. The
leverage would be better.
The laminate trimmer has 1/4" collets and better mounting surfaces
than a die grinder.
Speed control:
http://www.amptone.com/images/tenmavariac.jpg

Buy one of these, tighten a nut on it and thread the nut:
http://stores.homestead.com/WaldenSpecialties/-strse-31/MT2-Threaded-Arbor,-1-fdsh-2''/Detail.bok
I'd face the arbor flange side of the nut first and saw a slot so it
could be removed if it stays in the chuck. Or leave a hex flange on
the nut.

Why bother unless you already have the ER collets? 5C collets are as
cheap as any other and are the standard for square and hex collet
blocks, end mill grinding fixtures etc.
http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/Co...tm#5C_fixtures
Those are fine for cross-drilling a shaft or milling a square or hex
head.

You could pick a few appropriate sizes for your rod stock and collets,
you don't need a full set. I chose 1/2" and 1" for expensive metal
like O-1, 12L14, 303, 4142 etc.

jsw