Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default Shizuoka ST-N *before* retrofit work starts!

On 2011-03-11, JB wrote:
Photos:
http://www.jmbyrne.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1a.html

Manual pages showing spec of motors and drives etc:
http://www.jmbyrne.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1b.html

First job is to find a servo drive to test the motors. If all is well
with
these, then I can move along......

Looks like a nice, used machine. Congrats.

You can use any DC power source to test the motors. Examples are a car
battery, car battery charger, etc.

I'll try my big 0-30VDC 4A lab PSU then I think.
Thanks again.

Start with a low voltage -- it will accelerate *fast* with full
voltage and current, and you might not get it stopped before it hits the
stops.

Good advice! These are big motors.

And you say four brushes. Typically, two are heavy duty ones (or
have heavy duty wires running to them) and the other two (at right
angles to the first two) are lighter. They are where the tach feedback
pickoff brushes, and probably should not get much current to allow for
clean pickoff of the tach feedback signals.

I'll look into this when i detach all of the wiring next week.
cheers,
JB