Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default eliminator tool

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:35:50 -0600, spaco
wrote:
No one actually ASKED what it was...

It's made from a 1" diamiter SS bar about 16" long, with a 5/8" shank
for a handle at one end.. The other, working end tapers and rounds off
to hold the round carbide insert.. the taper allows you to get into
smaller places, the massive shank adds weight and dampens vibration..
My favorite part of the design is the 2 flat sides, which rest flush
on the tool rest and present the cutter at a 45 degree angle for shear
cutting in either direction..
The inserts last a long time with careful use and cost about $23
each..
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...liminator_tool

No one actually said what one is.
It appears to be a woodturning tool that uses a round carbide insert
on the end of the shank. The insert can be rotated a couple of times to
present a new edge to the wood, and then just replaced when it finally
becomes dull, which ought to take a while. Anyway, that's the way I use
them for metal lathe work. This particular design of insert has a
built-in chip breaker. For work on wood, I assume this would give you a
slightly more acute angle and a more aggressive cut than you'd get
without it. More of a gouge than a scraper, I'd guess.
If you go to any machine tool catalog, you can find hundreds, if not
thousands of different inserts for metal turning. www.mscdirect.com,
for example. Search for "carbide insert".

Pete Stanaitis

Kevin Cleary wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone owns one of these tools and how they perform.