Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dividing head

On 2011-03-12, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:08:59 -0800 (PST), wolfgang
wrote:

[...]

Today there are more options than there were when I built my tooling.
I found the dremel tool speed too high for effective drilling of
steel.

Agreed. Even 1/8" is pushing it with 5000 rpm.

The spacer pin (or bar) is a length of rod that I place between the
bottom edge of the horizontal chuck jaw and the flat of the lathe
bed; this makes for quick-and-dirty indexing. By careful choice of
this spacer you can get 6 divisions quickly depending on your lathe's
design. Certainly 3 div's are easy and a cross hole is a cinch.

Cross drilling does not impose a rotational force on the work piece
and I found that clamping of the lathe spindle, for this operation, is
not necessary. If you are concerned simply hold the spindle, by hand,
against the spacer pin mentioned above.

I need to visualize this. There is a hole directly under the chuck on
my lathe. I guess some kind of a wooden block etc. might do.

Try this ASCII drawing: (view with a fixed pitch font like
Courier to avoid drawing distortion):

______
/ YY\ Octagon shape is the round chuck.
/ _YY \
|XXX/ \ | XXX is jaw which is supported
|XXX\__/ |
# ZZ / YYY & ZZZ are the other two jaws.
#\_____Z/
# #### is the spacer supporting the chuck jaw
^_# ^__
WWW WWW WWW is the cross-section of the lathe bed and ways
WW WW
WWWWWWWWW Smaller hexagon is the hole through the chuck and spindle
WWWWWWWWW
WWW WWW

I was thinking of making a big handle for my 9x20 and attach it to the
other side of the spindle. I thought it would help with threading
amongst other things. I should be able to think of ways to immobilize
the handle in various positions.

Make sure that the handle can be detached or your lathe will
dance all over (and off) the workbench from the imbalance under power.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564