Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Dividing head

On Mar 11, 7:13*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:40:48 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins

The laminate trimmer has 1/4" collets and better mounting surfaces
than a die grinder.

What are you going to use it for?

A bigger Dremel that takes 1/4" shank carbide burrs. Though so far
I've confined all grinding to the smaller, less valuable AA lathe,
which has a 1/2" - 20 drill chuck on its spindle. They are safer (I
think) to file and sand near than a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. I recently
ground 1/8" music wire into a router bit to deepen the O-ring groove
on a hydraulic pump.

OK. Is an adaptor with an internal thread 1"-8 (for the lathe spindle)
and 3/4" -16 outside thread *(for the chuck) an option? I was
wondering how to preserve the through hole.

I'd sooner make a new backplate. Several attempts at mounting a 1-1/2"
- 8 threaded Jacobs 58B chuck to my 2-1/4" - 8 spindle haven't been
all I could ask for. Maybe the chuck itself isn't rigid enough to turn
a good finish.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/J.../jakechuck.jpg
However it fits nicely on an Enco version of these:
http://grizzly.com/products/G1053

Some discussion:
http://www.armurerieduroi.com/pages/...ck_jacobs.html

BTW I have been looking around at the spin indexers: Somebody on
another forum posted pictures of the indexer which he adapted for ER40
collets! I thought it was a particularly smart move but could not find
a description of how he did it.
Michael Koblic,

Why bother unless you already have the ER collets? 5C collets are as
cheap as any other and are the standard for square and hex collet
blocks, end mill grinding fixtures etc

The benefit is the extended range of grip. Much of the stuff I use is
not within the 0.003" or so of the 5C collet size.

If you made parts from standard-sized stock you could leave it
attached to the rod, or at least a short plug on one end.

The 10th picture down. From what I read people use these blocks more
than anything else. I even thought of them and a single 3/4" 5C collet
with a threaded shaft through it to match the Taig chucks.

Picture No. 21 is probably one of the cheaper combinations I have
looked at: Spin indexer and a 5C chuck. My concern there was that I
would run out of space on the X2 table.

If you can find one, the Sherline 5C 4-jaw protrudes less than half as
far. The body is 1.25" thick:
http://www.sherline.com/5c.htm
They aren't for heavy work.

jsw