Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Most reliable combi boiler 2011

On 11/03/2011 14:46, Triffid wrote:
Andy Cap wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs
of a cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

That's fine and will be my choice, but it's not what most people are
sold and the combis are sold on the grounds of savings and I'd like to
see an honest comparison.

Our gas consumption has dropped significantly since replacing the 31
year old Baxi conventional with the WB Greenstar condensing combi.

snip

I'm not at all surprised that your new boiler is more efficient than the
old one. But I think that is because it is a modern condensing one, not
because it is a combi.

You don't need to heat a full tank of water every day. If you've used
water, you need to heat it. That's the same for both types. A tank of
hot water stays hot for _days_ given a foam jacket. There's barely
enough heat to keep the airing cupboard warm.

.... and when my old boiler dies I'll turn on the immersion heater until
I can get a new one fitted. What will you do?

You do have a point on the shower pump though.

Andy