Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Welcome To Big Time Politics

In article ,
says...

Upscale wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Sorry, but we'll never agree. With regard to self-protection, the
fervent advocates are of two camps: Those who alarmed by the
possibility of criminals more than guns and those who fear guns more
than criminals.

I don't fear guns and never have. What I don't like is that it's too
damned easy for most anyone to get a gun. And, that's where my
preference for registration and licensing comes in. Buy as many guns
as you want, just make sure they're registered, licensed and safely
stored.

Ah, okay. You fear PEOPLE with guns. The fix for that is to get plenty of
guns for yourself. Then you need not fear anyone.

What I've never gotten is what good all this "registration and
licensing" are supposed to do. There are two kinds of people in the
world, the law abiding and criminals. The law abiding will dutifully
license and register, but they aren't the ones who would cause a problem
in the first place. The criminals will ignore the law and go on doing
whatever it is that they are doing. So all that is really accomplished
is that people who wouldn't cause a problem in the first place are
required to jump through a hoop.

People who think that such laws will ever disarm criminals live in a
dream world. We can't keep drugs out, what makes them think we can keep
anything else out?

What your camp fears is that the act of registration will somewhere
and at sometime, permit the authorities to find you and remove your
guns. Tell me that's not true.

It's sorta true. Many countries have done exactly that. Here at home, both
New York and California used their list of registered guns and gun owners to
confiscate and prosecute gun owners when they changed the laws on gun
ownership.

It could happen again.

Just last week, the Illinois AG ordered the list of registered gun owners in
the state to be released to the media. Some fear that release could make gun
owners a specific target for burglars. Obvously, if the state doesn't HAVE
such a list, it can't make it public.

Yep. Sometimes gun control advocates are their own worst enemy. One
bunch of 'em says "Oh, registration could never lead to confiscation
_here_". Meanwhile another bunch is making liars out of 'em.