Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default Dual-gang audio rotary pot with switch?

On 11/03/2011 10:34, Terry Casey wrote:
In on Fri, 11 Mar 2011
09:24:49 +0000
Adrian wrote:

HI Folks
Does such a thing exist ?
Just trawled through CPC's listings
(just love the bit about 'Show 'in stock' items ?' -
- no - taunt me with things I _can't_ buy !!g)

....and I can see dual-gang pots without switches, and single-gang
pots with switches - but not 2-g with switch.

If such a creature existed then it'd make tidying up this particular
project a lot simpler.....

I'm sure they do but you may need to hunt. As you haven't told us the value[1]
that you want, it would be pointless anybody looking for you.

g Fair comment. I was wondering if they existed at all.....

It's for a stereo volume control - I have a module that plays MP3's from
a memory card and runs 2x5w to a couple of speakers. Whole thing sits in
a wooden enclosure with a couple of speakers and a big dryfit battery.

All controls (vol / / / etc) are via pushbuttons -
I'm looking to graft in a conventional rotary pot as a volume control
(anything between 5k and 50k log or lin would do fine) - and if it also
had a switch for the 12v dc to the MP3 module then that'd mean I only
needed one 'user-accessible' control.....

If you can find decent pictures of the CPC ones - or you recognise the method
of construction - you may be able to swap the rear of a single gang pot with
the rear of the double gang, thus moving the switch from one to the other.

That's a thought - but I'm not sure I'd trust CPC's photos - they seem
to be very 'generic' sometimes...

It used to be quite possible to mix'n'match pots in this way - including dual
(unganged) pots with different front and rear values - if the original wan't
available. The fixing lugs were easy to prise off and re-use on standard types
by AB (also branded RS).

Thanks - that's a thought - though a d/g pot and a separate switch might
be the way I have to go....

Adrian